If your child has sustained an injury or has a condition that requires surgery, we know that it can cause anxiety and uncertainty. Our team of highly trained pediatric surgeons at Cohen Children’s Medical Center successfully performs thousands of surgical procedures on infants, children, adolescents and young adults each year. Significant advances in minimally invasive surgical techniques make it possible to do complex procedures with greatly reduced levels of pain and intrusiveness. These minimally invasive surgeries have proven to be safe and effective and are ideal for infants, young children and teenagers.
Our pediatric surgeons have combined decades of experience and understand the challenges presented by the unique anatomy and physiology of infants, children and their developing bodies. Close cooperation with the patient's referring physician is maintained at all times. Open communication with the parents is encouraged. It is our goal to provide excellence in surgical treatment and compassionate care for children and their families in a supportive and healing environment.
Our pediatric general surgeons are dedicated to providing exceptional care that includes compassion, technical excellence and state-of-the-art surgical methods.
The latest pediatric surgery treatments reflect a surgical revolution launched by the development of minimally invasive techniques, such as laparoscopic surgery and thoracoscopic surgery. These advances in medical technology have led to dramatic benefits for infants, young children and teenagers, including decreased postoperative pain and complications, very small incisions with little or no scarring, faster recovery time and shorter stays in the hospital.
Our team of pediatric surgeons specializes in pediatric surgery treatments including neonatal surgery to correct and treat newborn congenital anomalies, pediatric oncologic surgery, the surgical treatment of pediatric gastrointestinal diseases, and cases involving traumatically injured children.
International Pediatric Colorectal Referral Center
Our Division of Pediatric Surgery has a special interest and extensive experience in the treatment and research of colorectal problems. We have become an international referral center for the treatment of colorectal problems in children. These disorders are treated by a full team of professionals.
Level I Pediatric Trauma Center
Cohen Children's Medical Center is an approved Level I Pediatric Trauma Center that uses a team approach to the care of each injured child. Members from many pediatric subspecialties, including pediatric emergency medicine, pediatric surgery, pediatric anesthesiology and pediatric critical care, all work together to provide the very best outcomes for critically ill children.
We offer a wide range of surgeries, including:
- Minimally invasive surgery – Our surgeons provide the most advanced minimally invasive pediatric surgery treatments available for infants, children and adolescents.
- Neonatal surgery – We are a regional referral center for neonatal surgery.
- Pediatric oncologic surgery - Our pediatric surgeons provide specialized pediatric surgery treatments to infants and children with benign and malignant tumors.
- Pediatric inflammatory bowel disease – We are a world-class, family-oriented center for the care of pediatric inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
- Pediatric Trauma Center – We have been designated as one of three Level I Pediatric Trauma Centers in New York state.
- Ambulatory Surgery Center - Our Same Day Surgery unit permits children to undergo surgery for many problems without staying overnight in the hospital.
- Pediatric anesthesiology - Our specialists in pediatric anesthesiology manage both the routine and critical care of infants and children undergoing pediatric surgery.
- Pediatric bowel management program - The goal of this program is to improve the quality of life for children who suffer from fecal incontinence.
- Pilo-Center - Our center provides state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary care to patients suffering from pilonidal disease.
- Children's colorectal surgery - Our pediatric surgeons have extensive experience in the treatment and research of colorectal problems.
Minimally invasive approach
Pediatric laparoscopic, or minimally invasive surgery, is a specialized technique for performing surgery. In traditional open surgery, the surgeon uses a single incision to enter the abdomen. Pediatric laparoscopic surgery uses several 0.5-1cm incisions. Each incision is called a port. At each port, a tubular instrument known as a trochar is inserted. Specialized instruments and a special camera known as a laparoscope are passed through the trochars during the procedure. At the beginning of the procedure, the abdomen is inflated with carbon dioxide gas to provide a working and viewing space for the surgeon. The laparoscope transmits images from the abdominal cavity to high-resolution video monitors in the operating room. During the operation, the surgeon watches detailed images of the abdomen on the monitor. This system allows the surgeon to perform the same operations as traditional surgery but with smaller incisions.
The pediatric surgeons at Cohen Children's provide state-of-the-art minimally invasive pediatric laparoscopic surgery for infants, children and adolescents so that they will benefit from:
- Decreased postoperative pain and complications
- Very small incisions with little or no scarring
- Faster recovery time
- Shorter stay in the hospital
Minimally invasive surgery, which includes pediatric laparoscopy and pediatric thoracoscopy surgery, gives pediatric surgeons a view inside the abdomen or chest. Small incisions are made and a tiny video camera is guided through one of the incisions and small instruments passed through the others. Our highly trained pediatric surgeons can perform the operation while watching a video screen to manipulate the instruments.
No other medical center in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut offers the breadth and scope of minimally invasive pediatric laparoscopic surgery that is available here. Our pediatric laparoscopic surgery procedures include:
- Anti-reflux operations (Nissen fundoplication)
- Astrostomy placement
- Decortication and empyema drainage
- Diaphragmatic hernia
- Inguinal hernia repair
- Intestinal resection
- Lung biopsy and lung resection
- Mediastinal mass removal
- Nephrectomy (kidney removal)
- Ovarian cystectomy
- Pectus excavatum repair (Nuss procedure)
- Pull-through for Hirschsprung's disease
- Pull-through for imperforate anus
- Thoracoscopic (through the chest wall)
- Treatment for pneumothorax
Talk to your pediatrician or family physician about minimally invasive pediatric laparoscopic surgery. You doctor can contact us with any questions you may have. We are committed to providing state-of-the-art care for children's surgical needs along with the most sensitive and considerate support for the family. In everything we do, children come first.
Take a virtual tour of our hospital
Explore some of the innovative facilities that make Cohen Children’s Medical Center so special.