Northwell Health Cohen Children's General Pediatrics at New Hyde Park
Why choose a Cohen Children's pediatrician?
For more than 35 years, the pediatricians of Cohen Children’s have provided family-oriented pediatric services and comprehensive well-care to children across Queens, Nassau and Suffolk counties. We pride ourselves on getting to know all our patients and their families, allowing for individualized attention and personalized care. Our experienced, board-certified physicians and nurse practitioners work in association with the nationally recognized pediatric experts at Cohen Children’s Medical Center, one of the nation’s preeminent pediatric hospitals, to bring the most advanced and compassionate care to our community.
The right care—right where you need it
Our pediatricians and nurse practitioners have extensive experience treating pediatric patients—from the littlest infants to young adults. And with general pediatric offices throughout Long Island, Queens and Westchester, that means quality care close to home.
Our comprehensive pediatric services
Our general pediatric practices are dedicated to delivering outstanding medical care to patients from infancy through adolescence. In addition, we also offer programs and services for patients and their families.
We provide a number of specialized programs to address your child’s health needs. These include:
- Complex Care Program—We have a team of physicians, nurses, and social workers dedicated to the comprehensive care needs of children who are medically fragile, dependent on medical technology, who have many chronic conditions, or have been hospitalized frequently.
- Asthma Management Program—We provide two dedicated sessions a week for asthma evaluation, management and control. Our team consists of a physician, certified nurse educator and caring staff. We provide in office spirometry and extensive asthma evaluation and education for our asthma patients to help them not only manage their asthma, but also bring it under control.
- Behavioral Health Program—We provide brief psychotherapy treatment by an on-staff psychologist. Empirically-supported, cognitive behavioral treatments and parent training are provided. Psychotropic medication management is handled by our pediatricians with consultation, as needed, by a psychiatrist.
- Pediatric Weight Management and Exercise Physiology Program—We help children and adolescents and their families create specialized weight management programs. Our programs help children who are both underweight and above the recommended weight.
- Lead Poisoning Evaluation and Treatment Program—Lead poisoning is a major cause of learning disabilities, anemia and growth problems. Children exposed to lead may have problems with paying attention and being aggressive. Children are most commonly exposed to lead by the ingestion of paint chips or dirt that is contaminated with lead. Prior to 1977, lead was an ingredient of paint, so children living in older homes with chipping paint are most at risk for lead poisoning.
- Vaccines for Kids Program—There are currently vaccines available to protect children and adults against at least 15 life-threatening or crippling diseases. From newborns to senior citizens, timely immunizations are one of the most important ways for people to protect themselves and others. Making sure your child receives all vaccinations on time is one of the most important things you can do to ensure his or her long-term health—as well as the health of friends, classmates and others in the community. It’s true that some vaccine-preventable diseases have become very rare thanks to vaccines; however, outbreaks still happen, and making sure your child is up to date with vaccinations is the best way to make sure our communities and schools do not experience an outbreak.
- Child Protection Program—This program is designed to protect the health and welfare of children by encouraging the reporting of children who are known to be or suspected of being abused or neglected. The program also provides services for the protection and treatment of abused and neglected children and to protect them from further harm.
- School, camp and sports physicals—We provide physicals to children in order to meet the requirements of, and prepare them for, school, camp and sports.
Social & legal services
- Family Needs Screening Program (FAMNEEDS)—This program aims to improve health outcomes through screening and referral of all families at well child care visits for adverse social determinants of health and caregiver behavioral health risk factors using trained student navigators that provide assistance and follow-up for at-risk families.
- Hofstra-Northwell Medical Legal Partnership—This program embeds both clinicians, lawyers and other healthcare stakeholders to provide collaborative case management of health-harming legal needs, important social determinants of health. The overarching goal is to have Hofstra Law School, as a legal institution, formally recognized by Northwell Health as part of healthcare team and service delivery system with full engagement at all levels.
Your community doctor—with access to top resources
When you choose one of our general pediatric locations, you also gain seamless access to our specialty services at Cohen Children’s Medical Center—ranked among the nation’s best children’s hospitals by U.S. News & World Report every year since 2007. Cohen Children’s has a broad array of pediatric specialty services so that our patients get the excellent care they deserve. These resources also help your pediatrician or nurse practitioner care for even the most complicated cases.
You’re our partner in care
Children are our patients, but parents are our partners—we involve parents in the decision-making process every step of the way. Because only you can decide what’s best for your child. And when kids are old enough, we involve them, too, so they can get a head start on making smart choices about their health.