If your child is struggling with weight issues, they are not alone. Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicate that more than one third of children and adolescents in the U.S. are overweight or obese. Being obese puts children and adolescents at a higher risk for dangerous health problems, including cardiovascular disease, many types of cancers, diabetes, bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and social and psychological problems.
The POWER Kids Weight Management Program at Cohen Children’s is here to help. We are a supportive, multidisciplinary program providing one-to-one medical care, personal nutritional counseling and education to help participants achieve healthier eating and a more physically active lifestyle. We use nationally recognized principles to educate our participants and their families, such as Let’s Move, 5-2-1-0 Let’s Go and ChooseMyPlate.gov.
Our goal is to:
- Create inspiration and increase motivation
- Positively modify behavior
- Improve lifestyle choices to impact long-term success and change
- Work with your child/adolescent to attain a healthy body mass index (BMI)
Our multidisciplinary team of health professionals has decades of combined experience working with children and adolescents in weight management and health care. We are in a unique position to offer guidance and supervision for success, while closely monitoring the progress of our participants and providing them with feedback and solid support.
The POWER Kids team of health professionals working with your child or adolescent includes:
- Certified diabetes educators
- Registered dietitian nutritionists
- Specialists in applied physiology
- Registered nurses
- Nurse practitioners
- Certified social workers
All of these dedicated individuals genuinely care about the goals and aspirations of their POWER Kids patients. They love to see kids smile!
Your child will also have access to a full range of services including:
- A complete medical examination/evaluation (including laboratory workup)
- Nutrition evaluation and assessment
- Food and exercise diary/log
- Exercise assessment
- Individualized plan for weight management
- Meal planning tips and resources
- Exercise resources and incentives for physical activity
- Goal setting directives
- Conflict resolution strategies (nutrition and physical activity related)
- Continued follow-up and support
- Referrals as needed to other Northwell services and specialists
Using the power of social media
We know that participants benefit from constructive social media content, positive reinforcement and large doses of support; that’s why POWER Kids can be found on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (@powerkidsccmc).
We regularly post useful content that POWER Kids participants can benefit from, including:
- Inspirational and motivational tips (through our “POWER Vations” on Facebook)
- Healthy recipes
- Useful tips and resources
- Video demonstrations
- Trending topics in nutrition, exercise and health
- Expert advice