Programs and initiatives
Cohen Children's Medical Center is dedicated exclusively to the care of children and is committed to providing the most sophisticated, state-of-the-art care in all major clinical areas. We understand that when it comes to the treatment of our young patients, loved ones play a crucial role. That’s why family-centered care is at the core of everything we do.
Our discoveries, advancements and achievements have earned us recognition as one the nation's pre-eminent children's hospitals. Our experts are also available to provide educational programs in schools and our communities. These programs can be tailored to the specific needs of your students, parents and/or community. For more information, please email CCMC Community Outreach at [email protected] or call (718) 470-3352. Registration for our events can be completed on Eventbrite.
Car seat safety check
Car crashes are the No. 1 killer of children 1 to 12 years old in the United States. The best way to protect them in the car is to put them in the right seat, at the right time, and use it the right way. Let us help you make better-informed decisions when choosing and using a car seat.
We offer a special four-hour program to help teenagers learn to become responsible babysitters. Pediatric nurses will teach basic first aid tips, baby care, what to do in an emergency, and safety for children of all ages.
What you should know:
Class fee: $30
Class dates: Class dates are available on the Eventbrite registration website
Cohen Children's Medical Center
269-01 76th Avenue
New Hyde Park, NY 11040
Pediatric Specialty Care of Smithtown
222 Middle Country Road
Smithtown, NY 11787
Additional information: Please bring a bagged lunch with you.
Register for Kidwatcher classes
For additional information, email [email protected]
Cohen and Kohl’s Keeping Kids Healthy Program
One in three children and adolescents in New York state are either overweight or obese, as a result of poor eating and exercise habits. This can lead to many chronic conditions including Type 2 diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure and cardiovascular diseases. To help combat this issue in the local community, we’ve partnered with Kohl’s Cares to create the Cohen and Kohl’s Keeping Kids Healthy Program, which promotes good nutrition and physical fitness via innovative outreach programs.
Read on for some helpful tips and inspiration about how you can help your children make healthy choices.
Nutrition: Good health starts in the kitchen.
- Eat meals together as often as possible.
- Make eating more fruits and vegetables a game. (i.e., Who had the most servings today? Share results at dinner and give prizes to the winners.)
- Add a new whole grain food to your meals each week. Take turns finding new ones to try.
- Start the day with a nutritious breakfast. (It’s helpful to find on-the-go options.)
- Take your kids grocery shopping, and let them explore and choose healthy, delicious items.
- Plan and prepare healthy meals for the week, and make it a fun family activity.
Exercise: Get up and go.
- Turn off the television and, as a family, act out your own sitcom or song-and-dance show.
- Plant a garden and assign each family member their own section to care for and maintain.
- Teach your kids to take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible. And practice what you preach.
- Plan a walk every day after dinner and chart your steps on a map on the fridge.
- Ride bicycles, jump rope and play tag.
- When it’s too cold to play outdoors, take the family to an indoor pool or playground.